Day 3

(the formatting on this post got all messed up. hope you can follow it)

Sweet Lucy has had a pretty rough day today.  We've had some "big" successes, but then they would be followed by a small set back.  The nurses are still having a hard time managing her pain.  When she gets aggitated she begins to vomit and we often lose what medicine she just had taken.  The morphine seems to work fairly well, but it often does not last until the next dose of pain medicine.  That's when things get bad.  But on a positive note, she can tell us when she is going to get sick, she will grab and rag and wipe her face and mouth after she gets sick and if she is really uncomfortable from the pain in her head, neck and back she will turn herself to a comfortable postition.  Another huge success today came when she lifted her right leg about 6" off the bed.  Her right side had the most paralysis so that made our hearts explode with hope!

My brother and parents got to witness the first and only smile since surgery.  I was so sad I missed it but honestly, my baby brother needed to see it more than anyone.  He really seemed to relax a little after that moment. 
My favotrite moment of the day was this:

Big sister Ella spent some time holding Lucy's hand.  I think they said "I love you" back and forth ten times.  It did my heart good!  Ella still does not know just how sick her sister is but her heart is so big she just can't help but to love her even more seeing her laying in that bed.

When my Dad came in this morning he had this angel with him.  It might not look like much to you, but when my mother was on her death bed back in 1995 after suffering from a massive pulmonary embolism some friends gave this to her and it hung about her bed.  It was her guardian angel for those scary, horrible 3 weeks.  Now it hangs above my Lucy's bed. 
This is my LouBear tonight.  First picture with her eyes open, although they look rather dim.  She knows she has to fight...and she will.  She already is. 
post signature