Another Turn

Lucy had a wonderful night last night and was great when she woke up this morning.  She was talkative, happy and seemed to be pain free.  She ate a big breakfast and then while watching cartoons started screaming that her head hurt.  Where she was pointing, there was little doubt what was coming next.  We called the Resident in to look at her, but not being too familiar with her case he suggested that we just wait and watch it for a while.  I immediately went over and started checking her back and head.  When I got to the top of the incision in her head I noticed a rather large bulging area.  I signaled Erik over and we instantly knew.  We literally started packing up the room before the doctor could even come back in and talk to us.  I had placed a call to Le Bonheur and was talking with Neuro in less than 3 minutes.  I swear we had that room packed in less than 15 minutes.  It was crazy.  So, off Lucy and I go in the ambulance back to Le Bonheur to the 7th floor.  I know I said I was homesick last night, but I didn't really mean I wanted to go back.  But honestly I knew deep in my heart that Lucy would have to have a shunt eventually.  I just praise God that we had not started radiation and then had to stop for the shunt to be placed.

I'm not writing a lot tonight because honestly I am exhausted.  I need to sleep to get ready for Lucy's big day tomorrow.  She goes down for a MRI tomorrow morning at 7:30.  If there is no sign of infection, they will immediately take her over to the OR for her shunt placement.  The goal--if everything goes well--would be to stay through the weekend here at Le Bonheur.  Hopefully discharge Monday and go straight to St. Jude for medicine training.  If we can learn to give Lucy her antibiotic through her IV, she will be discharged to our house.  We would then pick right up where we stopped at St. Jude with our pre treatment planning with radiation scheduled to begin on Monday, March 28th.  This is one week later than we originally had set for treatment to begin, but considering the bumps in the road we will be fairly pleased. 

(placing a shunt is not a big surgery.  however meningitis throws everything for a loop.  unfortunately there is no easy answer for us.  we are taking a chance no matter what we decide.  we are just praying that if we should not place the shunt God would make this very, very clear to us.  the last thing we need is for an infection in the shunt mid-radiation)

Please pray with us that tomorrow will go smoothly and God will make himself known to Erik, me, Lucy and the surgeons. 

"if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."  Matthew 17:20

If mustard seed faith is all it takes, then Erik and I should be well covered!
post signature