Redbirds and Ribosomes

Just like most of you, I'm sure, our weekend was a whirlwind of activity.  It's almost as if we blinked and Monday morning was here.

Saturday morning I had to be at the school at 5:30am to cook LOTS of pancakes for the big pajamas and pancakes party.  It was our school's first event like this and we had so much fun.  Ella and Jack both had their first soccer game of the season so they didn't get to come eat pancakes.  Luckily the kids play soccer at the school fields so I was able to cook pancakes and still catch all of the games.  Jack was struggling with his asthma and the heat index nearly 100 degrees by 10 am.  Jack didn't get to play so I sort of lucked up and got to watch all of Ella's game.  This picture is not flattering and doesn't show her scoring either of the 2 that she netted for the day, but it does show just how hot it was.  She is completely wilted and she hadn't even made it to half time yet.

Later that evening we loaded up and headed to Memphis to watch the Redbirds play.  The Redbirds are the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.  Before we had kids, Erik and I would often buy the cheap tickets and sit on the bluff to watch the games.  Now, with three kids in tow we just wait until we have the rare opportunity to sit in a suite and enjoy the game in the air conditioning.  Especially on a very hot and humid August night.  One of Lucy's doctors was kind of enough to invite us to his suite and we had a wonderful time.
I apologize for the horrible picture quality.  

It was a super hero themed night at the park.  I never considered the cast of Star Wars or Harry Potter to be a super hero, but hey!  To each his own.  Ella is holding a ball in her hand in the very dark picture below.  A super fast rouge foul ball came flying into our box.  It hit the plexiglass sliding door behind us and ricocheted off and hit Ella in the head.  If she had not thrown her arms up out of pure reflex she would have been in the hospital.  She was very lucky not to have been knocked out.

Lucy helped out in the nursery on Sunday morning (her new favorite thing to do) and Ella had the chance to come on stage to help lead a worship song.  I was so proud of her and she looked so beautiful up on the stage.  She is growing up so quickly.  She is enjoying reminding me that her birthday is in 7 days!  

After church we headed over to my parents for a "welcome home" celebration.  They had been out of the country for about 15 days and we all gathered to welcome them back home.  We had a great lunch, hours of conversation and watched as Ella made a replica model of an animal cell.  What an amazing weekend it was!